Wednesday

Being a Dad 24/7



Sandwiched inside a busy morning which included buying groceries for Easter, hitting the post office, getting an oil change and car wash, I went to my kids school to take pictures of my youngest and his class search for Easter eggs in the meadow behind their school. I ended up playing crossing guard as the seventeen four year old crossed the street and unofficial basket holder. Am I a superhero? Nope. Should anyone erect a statue in my honor? No, I’m just a dad and I’m a dad 24/7.  

After I got home from school, I jumped on my computer to arrange some events for my kids (6 and 4) to do as they have Spring Break next week. It’s just what I do. I’m lucky that I get to spend so much time with my kids. It’s fun, but it’s tiring, and sometimes it’s frustrating. But that is what it is.  Twice as I typed this post I have stopped to deal with a kid going to the bathroom or one who needed to get her antibiotics. 

When I lost my job a few years ago, one of my old co-workers told me to enjoy the time I get to spend with my kids. They wouldn't care that I didn't have a job or anything like that. They would just enjoy me being there. And being there has been great.  I like going to parks as much as the next guy does, assuming the next guy isn't one of my kids because they really LOVE park time.

Being a Dad 24/7 is not just for stay at home dads like myself. I remember when I used to come home after a long day at the office and long commute and taking my daughter to the park for a little while, before bed time and being frustrated because I didn't get the chance to decompress. I wasn't getting “me” time. It took a long time for me to realize that once you take the title of Dad, there is no “me” time and that is cool because your kids are way cooler than you are. And once you embrace that then you know what it truly means to be a parent (and in my case a Dad).

And yes, I do have some "me" time. I am very active in scouting and go to meetings at night, and an occasional weekend camping trip. I have friends who I spend some time with (mostly after the kids are down to sleep). But all of those things always fall behind my family when it comes to my priorities.


 


They say the clothes make the man, show everyone that you are a dad 24/7 with this very cool new t-shirt by Fodada http://bit.ly/1xY4g7z

No comments: